View Single Post

Old 04-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Liked 833 Times in 340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorebel View Post
I began as a police officer using a 686 4 inch in 1985 and recently shot the same gun at the range. I smoked a ragged hole in that target with not problems. Some things you just never seem to unlearn.

I love shooting my P226,P229, Beretta 92F and carry a S&W 1911 made in 2014. After a long career in law enforcement and a POST certified firearms instructor, I have found the only thing that keeps a person from shooting well all of the time is NOT dry firing a lot. In fact I would get out my snap-caps and dry fire over and over with my semi-auto's before hitting the range. It makes a huge difference in your shooting abilities and it's no cost training.

I suggest what ever you carry on or off duty, get some snap-caps and practice dry firing. Of course make sure the gun is unloaded first and the LIVE ammo is in another room.

I also suggest you practice with whatever you carry.

I never cock my pistols into single action and shoot. You should learn how to shoot as it is. JMHO.
I started one year before you with the same handgun. Cocking the hammer was forbidden. I know some agencies went the extra step and bobbed the hammer. I still feel weird if I cock the hammer on a DA revolver.
The Following User Likes This Post: