View Single Post

Old 04-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Liked 125 Times in 37 Posts

I share many of the viewpoints already mentioned. I don't hunt, don't compete and gave up IDPA shooting quite a good while ago. I do carry, so that's the only 'practical' aspect of handguns for me--everything else is pure enjoyment of pulling a trigger. Mastering a revolver to shoot it as a carry gun isn't going to ever happen for me, but as a range gun, few things are more enjoyable for me now.

There's something about revolvers in general I find so goofy-primitive and obsolete in very concept, I wonder why I'd own one. But I own three and when they go bang, I know why I own them and love them. The mass, low capacity, gas leakage and precision mechanics all seem to disappear as anachronism, and reappear as art form--demanding a certain genuine appreciation and respect.

I enjoy sitting by the fireplace admiring my 629 and buffing it a bit, feeling it click shut and rotate into place--with the same satisfaction that some might get from opening and closing a Browning Citori. I really can't do that much with my M&Ps. Not a piece of cast plastic or a stamping to be found. A heft and density that, in the world of firearms and by itself, at one time conveyed a sense of quality machined workmanship.

I keep saying "I now have the last revolver I need to buy", but I know that can't be true, as there's no 454 Casull to be found anywhere in the house. So, just one more, then I'm done with the whole wheelgun phase.

Last edited by BongoBoy; 05-02-2020 at 09:42 PM.
The Following 15 Users Like Post: