View Single Post

Old 05-01-2020, 03:28 PM

Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Default Load Recipe for Pushing a 125gn JHP at 1450 fps out of a 4" S&W 686

Hi All,
I would like to duplicate the famous Federal 1450 fps 125gn semi jacketed hollow point ammo in my S&W Model 686 revolver with 4" barrel. I have the bullets and some powders that will get the job done (like H110), but I was hoping for some folks to share their tried and true recipes for getting that velocity out of a 4" revolver with a minimum of flash and clean burning. None of the reloading manuals I've checked used a 4" revolver barrel with 1:18 3/4" twist. I think this is important because the cylinder gap in a revolver will bleed off significant pressure unlike the test barrels used by the powder and bullet manufacturers. I know I'll have to fine tune any load for my revolver, which has considerable mileage on it, but I was hoping to start off in the ballpark. I chronographed factory Federal C357B ammo some years back in this revolver and velocity was about 1430 fps on average. I was thinking about using VV N110 because their published speed range is phenomenal and the powder is supposed to be clean burning and low flash, but again the test barrel didn't factor in the same length, rate of twist, or cylinder gap as my revolver so I have no idea where to set my initial powder charges without sacrificing many bullets in the process. If anyone has a homemade recipe for pushing a 125gn JHP to 1450 fps out of a 4" revolver I'd appreciate seeing it. Please also include type of primer used and COL. Thanks in advance for any help.