View Single Post

Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,882 Times in 2,151 Posts

Talk about impulse buys--- a buddy and I stopped by an area pawn shop today, it has a great reputation for finding great guns. he was looking for a 10mm pistol, I was just there to window shop and maybe look for a Walther P-38. There were two P-38's there, one had no armory markings, the other was a Walther but had a super-short barrel. Anyway, next to the case with the Walther was another case full of wheel guns, and two immediately caught my attention. The first one was a Model 66-2 with a 6" barrel. It must have been a late -2 model, it had neither a pinned barrel or recessed cylinder, but otherwise was a beautiful pistol. I wanted a pinned/recessed example of any S&W I might find. So, I looked at the second gun; it was a Model 28-2 and the only marks on it are the line on the cylinder from the locking lug rubbing it. It is also a 6" barrel, and has the target trigger and target hammer, but had the smaller grips, which look kind of funny on such a large revolver.

I have a really nice M19-3 with a 4" barrel, so either revolver would make a great companion for it. I used to have a M66-1, sold it years ago, so I was tempted to replace it with this 66-2, but then I thought, why not get a larger frame model to use my full-magnum handloads for. Time to dicker. The store owner did come down some on price, not as much as I wanted, but I took the M28-2 anyway. No box. I won't say what I gave just yet, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. I'd also like to know as close as possible to when this gun was made. The SN is N1892--.
Pictures aren't the clearest, I'll get better ones.

Late edit: I was reading the first post on the thread, and if correct, the listed serial number ranges put the MFG date of my new toy in the year 1973. That makes it older than my 19-3 by three years or so. Sure would like to know its history, if a Statie actually carried it, how many bad guys bit the dust in front of it, etc., etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01510.jpg (71.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01512.jpg (91.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01521.jpg (69.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01513.jpg (84.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01514.jpg (81.4 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Hair Trigger; 05-06-2020 at 07:14 AM.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: