View Single Post

Old 05-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Liked 1,730 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo2 View Post
Your range is open......I am soooo jealous. Gov. Tom Wofle is an idiot.

They made the mistake of asking for the governor's approval to remain open last month, which was (of course) denied.

Anyways, I glad that some here in PA-land are remaining active.
I certainly can't argue with your assessment of Herr Wolf, the drunk with power tyrant.

My range is at a private club, I don't know if that makes a difference and I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
That's an excellent addition for any reloader. It will really help you figure out what's going on with your loads and to refine them.
I'm waiting for my newest gun to arrive, tracking says it will be at the gun shop tomorrow. This will be my first in .45 caliber so I'm sure the chrono will come in handy in figuring out what to load for it. I've already made up a test batch of ammo to start with. I'm waiting to load any more till I see what the numbers are on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
A chronograph is critical as you start shooting at distances. Anyone can put groups together at 100 - 200 yards, but when you are shooting varmints out to 500 and beyond, a known exact velocity allows you to know your trajectory and get you on target. A custom elevation turret on a Leupold scope with your specific load data and you can take a rangefinder reading, and dial in exactly your distance on your scope. One shot kills on Prairie Dogs at long range is really fun.
What you describe is way beyond my abilities or aspirations. I'm happy to get decent groups at 100 yds with my rifles and 25 yds with the pistols. They do have both 200 and 300 yd ranges at my club and maybe someday I'll see if I can hit anything at those ranges just for kicks. Well probably not the 300 yd one. I think I am aware of my limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreuzlover View Post
If someone comes up and asks to shoot his gun over your chrony, tell them to shoot in the same place you are, same rest, etc. Unless they are just complete dufus'es, there shouldnt be any problem. Myself, I dont allow anyone to shoot over mine. Might make em mad, but I wont have any extra holes in my unit. YMMV
I can't imagine I'll be letting anyone else shoot over my chrono. My son just likes to shoot but he doesn't reload and the only other one I know that does reload is an uncle and I know for sure that if he did use it and shoot it he'd replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I also thought I'd never need a chrono.
I've been reloading since the 80's and only recently bought my first chronograph (Labradar).
I used to shoot anywhere in a recipe that gave me reliable feeding, but the world opened up when I started getting velocity numbers.
I could never be without one again.
Shooting and reloading is the hobby I took up to keep me occupied since I'm retired and my wife died last year. I have time on my hands and this whole thing is extremely interesting to me. I don't think I'll ever be without a chrono again. Which is good because for some reason I keep finding myself buying more guns, which requires more testing.