View Single Post

Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
[...] I think I'm going to give this piece a facelift. Back to S&W for there Revolver work, and probably a Fluff and Buff re-blue. Why not?
It is good to read that the old gal found a loving home. I also enjoy shooting 15s and pre-15s that real collectors would "bypass in a nano second."

However, reconsider sending it back to S&W for anything except a tune up which it probably does not need. None of mine have needed one and if they had I'd have stretched the yoke and/or installed a fatter hand myself. .38 Special is not hard on revolvers. It is probably too late for it to benefit from a trigger job. Through use S&Ws give themselves a trigger job. The parts rubbing against each other smooth themselves. That is one reason why older S&Ws usually have better DA pulls than new ones.

If I was going to reblue one I would not use S&W. Some time after 2000 S&W stopped doing actual bluing. Their current substitute for bluing would look obviously wrong on a 1990s or older revolver. The new "bluing" is darker. Worse it comes off with repeated wiping with a soft rag and Hoppie's #9 or any other solvent that contains ammonia. Real bluing was not even affected by older Hoppie's #9 that contained both ammonia and benzine. Paying to have a revolver reblued is always a money loser but if it would help you enjoy the gun more use a gunsmith or company that still does real blueing.

I'd just shoot it. All my S&W .38 Specials and .357s have shoot very well.

Last edited by k22fan; 05-11-2020 at 01:19 PM.