View Single Post

Old 05-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

When we walk out the door we each have our own decision / choice as to what type or caliber of weapon we will carry. I've carried a gun as a LEO since 1976 -2018 every day. I still carry under the LEOSA. Still employed as a civilian with the PD. Having said this, I've carried revolvers from 1976-1992. Semi-autos from 1992 to present. I'm a big fan of the model 60. I carried one for many years as a back up gun and for off duty. But, after the switch to semi automatics took place, I take advantage of their extra capacity to enhance survival. You can't say you will only need 2-3 shots to survive your encounter. You may need 8-10 with a reload. Even as a citizen.

We buried a retired police sergeant in St Louis a few years ago, who after being retired for 11 years, got in to a shoot out with two car jackers armed with a 9mm pistol, as he was pulling up in front of a relative's home to do some babysitting. Ralph Harper had a five shot chief special. The 15 year old carjacker killed Harper in front of his loving wife. The kid who killed Harper was 15 years old. Look it up. In St Louis Mo.

So as you make your decision as to what you will carry, realize that you cannot control all the variables that you may encounter. Often times wolves travel in a group of two or more.

We all love J frame Smith & Wessons, however around 1987 a revolution in handguns took place that changed the way police officers have armed themselves. To do otherwise would mean that you could be outgunned.

Criminals have changed what they are armed with since 1987 as well. They like to carry what cops carry. One of the most common pistols seized from criminals today are Glock pistols.

I respect your choice to carry a model 60. I can't bring myself to limit my survivability, based on what I've seen over my 40 years in police work. I love revolvers. That's why we are all here.

Last edited by falrifles; 05-11-2020 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: