View Single Post

Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,612 Times in 1,809 Posts

Having seen a LOT of gunbroker pictures, I have to say your picture is just fine.

Photographing rifles is a pain in the butt.

If you want to take some good pictures take the revolver alone out on a really bright, but overcast day. Then prop it up at an angle. Take a whole bunch of pictures close enough to the gun that it fills the whole frame. Then pick out the best picture.

You will be surprised what basically any camera will do in that situation.

The pictures I take are done these days mostly in a little $5 light tent off of amazon. Using a pair of little $2 desk lamps, a $0.99 leather coat, a $0.99 tripod, and a panasonic G something or other. Any of the Lumix Gs I think are fine. The key thing is that they let you put a lens on it.

The thing there is that I use an old lens that was made some time in the 1980s. Thats where you get the rather good pictures. With the old, good, lens (which can be had at thrift shops and garage sales), put on a good high quality digital camera like a Panasonic Lumix G series camera, you can manually focus. It lets you zoom in on some spot on the gun (usually the markings for me), focus it manually until its just perfect. Then I set the camera to a delay, so when I hit the button it takes a shot 3 seconds later, giving me a chance to not be bumping the camera at all when it takes the shot.

At that point its all about just playing around, take a bunch of pictures, pick the one you like the best.

I paid something like $150 for my camera many, many years ago now. It's done a great job ever since. As near as I can tell these little panasonic lumix G series cameras are the best affordable way to take really, really good pictures. At least if you have good old lenses.

Oh, I should also probably find a good hood for my lens. I use a tube off of a vacuum cleaner, taped on. It helps, but if you notice most of my pictures have a kind of washed out, or glowy effect to them which I think is beacause of light shining on the lens from the sides. Or something like that. I just haven't found a decent on at a thrift shop or garage sale yet.

The other thing thats probably worth noting is that I pretty much just take the pictures for myself, I don't really care too much about pleasing other people with them. I think thats probably key. If other people like them, cool, if not, that's fine too.