View Single Post

Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,510 Times in 8,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Green View Post
Thanks again for All your responses. I’l try and enlighten as well as possible. I’ve learned a LOT!! First I removed the stocks and there is No star stamp but yes there is the pin for the lanyard. On the butt of the grip there is the ser. # 59909, and on the same area toward the trigger there is two 11 ,s (eleven) stamped. When I shoot .45 acp with the Full or Half moon clips the space between the cyclinder and firing pin chamber is not measurable by me but the action rotates easily! No binding when shooting and the cylinder turns freely. When using .455 (no clip) there is about 1/8 without a bullet chambered and about 1/16 space between the cylinder and firing pin chamber with a .455 bullets chambered. The firing pin is completely recessed and does not protrude at all. I guess I should have said recoil shield instead of firing pin chamber. This is the only revolver I have ever had, I have 5 .45’s from a 1911 WW1 Colt to a Kimber Custom 2. So forgive me for lack of correct nomenclature on revolvers. I’ll catch up!
Hooaah!
Tommy,

Don't worry about nomenclature, you'll pick it up quickly! Your description was comprehensive enough to follow.

Today's revolver lesson is about the hammer nose, i.e., firing pin:

Smiths have rebounding hammers so that the pin does not protrude to rest on a primer unless the trigger is pulled, as a safety measure.

Therefore to see the pin protrude you drop the hammer by pulling the trigger, but don't release it, hold the trigger to the rear and the firing pin will be at maximum protrusion. Notice when you release the trigger the hammer will kick back and lock, and cannot be pushed forward.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 05-13-2020 at 03:47 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: