Thread: Loading 9mm
View Single Post

Old 05-13-2020, 02:59 PM

Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts

I don’t use range brass for 9mm.

9mm chambers are all over the place. Some chambers are way oversize, and some guns have unsupported chambers. This makes it difficult to size the brass down far enough to get it to chamber in all guns. Generically, this is referred to as the Glock bulge.

Brass is also all over the place in terms of quality. Some is plain junk.

All my guns have standard and supported chambers. Too many range brass rounds fail the plunk test.

I buy one brass brand (Federal) and only use it in my guns. I buy factory ammo (it’s cheap), mark the brass with a marker and only pick up that brass for reloading. Very few rounds fail the plunk test and I know the brass quality is good. I can also track how many times the brass has been fired.

In all my guns, other than the 986, I load 125 .356 SNS RN coated bullets over 4.1 grains of 231. This is like the load used by kbm6893.

Bayou .358 124 RN coated bullets are used for the 986 with the same load. Loading for the 986 is somewhat more complex due the increased bullet diameter.

I was hoping to use one bullet for all my guns. The .358 bullets shoot fine in all my 9 mm guns expect one. .358 bullets will occasional jam up on the feed ramp on my PM9. The round chambers it just hangs up. Rare but it happens. I never had a problem with .356 bullets (except leading and poor accuracy in my 986). Therefore, one load two bullets.

Even factory FMJ ammo in my 986 isn’t that accurate. I think the factory .355 bullets bounce around in the 986.

The 986 is a reloader’s gun, as I think is the 929.
The Following User Likes This Post: