View Single Post

Old 05-13-2020, 11:32 PM

Liked 1,914 Times in 467 Posts

The gun was popped because the serial # was reported by the local gun store, as is common practice when the forms are filed electronically. The store purchased a collection of 4 old Smiths from a widow in an Oklahoma City suburb.
The victim of course, and the suspect are both deceased in this case. It is a cold case that has never been closed because the murder weapon was never found to match to the recovered bullet. When the serial # popped, the ATF notified Chicago authorities who then reactivated the cold case and submitted a request to the ATF to recover the gun for ballistic testing. The search started after the crime was commited, the suspect told investigators that he had sold the gun to a local dealer. The dealer then said that he sold it to another individual. That individual told investigators that it fell into a lake while out in a boat fishing. As I know now, that was a real fish story, because the gun doesn't look like it has spent the last 54 years, or even 54 minutes, in the water.

The ATF agent involved was a very nice and professional individual and was very sympathetic to my predicament. He felt bad about having to take a rare Smith away from me. We had a pleasant long talk about this and other things unrelated.

And to those concerned, I REMOVED AND KEPT THE STOCKS. I figure I can sell them and maybe recover a little compensation for "pain and suffering."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200513_231550.jpg (155.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 20200513_231515.jpg (166.2 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Dvus; 05-14-2020 at 12:18 AM.
The Following 31 Users Like Post: