View Single Post

Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,993 Times in 3,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer17 View Post
The most amazing part to me is that the gun is an ex cop gun and it changed hands so many times over half a century and is still in such excellent condition. I was born a few years before that gun was and I wish I was in that good of shape.
As I read the OP, it was the cop's personal firearm, not his department-issued service revolver. I don't think the Chicago PD ever issued M58s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddietruett View Post
I got a call recently from the local Sheriffs Department questioning me about a handgun I had purchased from a Pawn Shop. I had since sold the gun. The deputy said the gun was stolen 5-6 years ago. The victim at that time could not locate the serial numbers of the guns that were stolen. When cleaning up a few months ago, he found the list he had made of all his serial numbers and contacted the Sheriffs Department which immediately posted them on NCIC and mine was a hit showing it had been bought and sold by a local Pawn Shop. The crook had confessed to the crime and the deputy said they didn't need the gun for evidence, but would like to have it just as icing on the cake. I could not remember the guys name I sold it to and was just told if I ever did remember to contact them, which would mean that they would take the gun, I would have to refund the money received and then go to the Pawn Shop and hope they would refund my money etc. The Pawn Shop would wind up being the one out of their money and that really wouldn't be fair since when they bought the gun, it had not been reported stolen. The only recourse for the Pawn Shop would be to file a judgement against the thief and of course would never see one dollar. The deputy said if I didn't remember, it really was not a problem since they had him and everybody involved was happy.
I'll bet the guy it was originally stolen from wasn't any too happy. I guess you could argue it was his own lack of organization that caused this result, but still he's screwed. As you said, not a snowball's chance in hell the thief will pay him a cent.