View Single Post

Old 05-14-2020, 02:43 PM

Liked 8,919 Times in 4,135 Posts

I've mentioned this before... sort of like Jeff Cooper articles, I never much cared for George Nonte's material. Despite that, and not really knowing what a good article was, I read their stuff in the '60s.

However, Nonte was involved in the preparation of one of the most interesting gun articles ever published, at least in my opinion, and I began reading everything I could find on guns in about 1962.

Neal Knox (HANDLOADER and RIFLE magazine editor) was an excellent writer and Lee Jurras, the Super Vel guy were also involved with the article. It was a two-part series: "Duplicating Hot Factory .38s" appeared in HANDLOADER #26, July, 1970 and "Pressures of Those Hot .38s" was in HANDLOADER #27, September, 1970.

These are lengthy, detailed articles about the warmest of factory .38 ammo before anyone ever heard of +P anything. Their handloads (I think) corresponded with the factory loads. The crew of three fired lots of ammo in many revolvers to come up with the interesting results. I haven't read the articles in a long time, but they're worth reading if you can locate them. Articles of this quality are seldom seen today.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: