View Single Post

Old 05-16-2020, 05:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 506 Times in 63 Posts
Default Model 27 gun shop score a few years back

In 2011 my wife and I traveled up from the hot Arizona desert floor to spend a few days in the cool pines of Prescott AZ, stopping at a Prescott Valley Gun Shop along the way. In both Prescott and Prescott Valley over the years I’ve found 3 or 4 S&W gems, this trip was no different. When we went in a large family was looking over the centrally located display of long guns with only one employee who was behind the counter, keeping an eye on the group. I was focused on the glass display cases and the shop keeper immediately was engaged with my wife in conversation when I spotted this piece; Model 27-2 sporting Smith & Wesson Combat Stocks, a $369 dollar price tag on it, WOW! The gent eventually dropped his focus on my wife and asked if I needed any help and I said yes, I want to buy that one right there and I did. Turns out it had just come in on trade, hadn’t even been cleaned or appraised, a simple cursory price put on it until things slowed down in the shop, which put me in the right place at the right time, a rarity! Anyway, it has blemishes and would hang up on one cylinder, but a fellow member, Sebago Son, he put me on the right track even though I’d checked the area several times, but still missed it; with a magnifying glass, I found a VERY small piece of slag that was almost welded to the cylinder face and required a dental pick to pry off…. I simply couldn’t see it without magnification. That fixed, it’s a sweet, accurate shooter and one in my arsenal that I really cherish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M-27 left.jpg (121.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg M-27 right.jpg (124.4 KB, 131 views)