View Single Post

Old 05-17-2020, 08:47 AM

Liked 12,517 Times in 3,334 Posts

The PP was the world's first small sized DA/SA pistol and the whole series has a pretty hefty DA trigger pull. You can't lighten the pull (and still have reliability) due to the geometry involved. Sadly however, you'll find trigger pull snowflakes who try exactly that a ruin a perfectly good pistol.

If you just shoot one for awhile, you develop muscles in your trigger finger and no longer notice the pull. Like any other DA trigger, it's also designed for you to put your finger over the trigger all the way up to the joint, to give you more leverage.

----

I have a Model 71 as well as the Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22LR and an original Walther PP in .22 LR, in the British issued L66A1 version.

I like the Beretta 71 and it's best value for the buck when you can find one. They are reliable, fairly accurate and well made. The frame is aluminum and the slide is steel.

I also like the Walther PP as it is very accurate, well made and the steel frame and slide give it excellent durability and nice weight and balance. That said, mine is very reliable with 8 rounds or elss in the magazine, but will have issues with 9 or 10 rounds in the magazine. Magazines are also hard to find and well north of $100 if you find one, so a magazine problem is a big problem.

In that regard I actually like the PPK/S .22LR better. Walther/Umarex did a superb job on the magazine design with an better feed angle and a wider stagger than reduces the potential for rim lock. The pistol uses the same fixed barrel design, with the same excellent accuracy, and if you compare them side by side, you'll find it's a PP series pistol. The differences are a barrel shroud and liner design with a tension nut like the Walther P22, a lower level of finish in the small parts, and a Zamak frame and slide with steel where it's needed. The Zamak is appropriately used from an engineering standpoint and gives it a weight and feel that is closer to the .32 ACP and .380 ACP versions.

It's also a very good value for the money, provided you are not looking for an heirloom.