Thread: 629 which one ?
View Single Post

Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 AM

Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

If all you want to do is some range work and occasional carry, I'd go 5". It's the right balance for both and you'll appreciate the extra sight radius and weight when it comes to shooting 44 mag loads or occasional hunting.

I have a 3" full lug 629-5 the previous owner had a complete package done by the S&W performance center. Magnaported, action job, crowned barrel, etc. Totally enamored with it, but you have to tailor the loads to the firearm. It is not one for stiff loads and/or heavier bullets. The grips I use for my longer barrels don't work with the 3".

Even with magnaport and full lug, the 3" is very snappy. We're not talking 300gr bear loads. Most are no more than 240 gr, very accurate and manageable in 5" and up barrel lengths. Make no mistake, they're magnum loads but not hand stingers or unpleasant to shoot. Those loads in the 3" are quite a handful. Had to change up the grip which altered my hold to prevent the cylinder release from cutting up my thumb.

Thought about loading up some 44 specials for practice, but had no plans on carrying that in the field and it seemed counter productive to practice with something that wasn't going to be used. Granted, the 3" would never accompany me in the deer woods but more applicable as a summer firearm with snake shot and loads appropriate for varmint/feral dog/coyotes.

Last edited by ultratec00; 05-18-2020 at 08:24 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: