View Single Post

Old 05-18-2020, 02:10 PM
US Veteran

Liked 12,679 Times in 5,657 Posts

This 1893 cartridge is a .3775" dia. bullet (+/-) that had 55 grs of Black Powder in the case, that pushed a 255 gr bullet to 1320fps with a MV of 987 ft/lbs.

With the low chamber pressures of these older weapon, reloading can not help out much with adding longer range kills to this design.
It will do well out to 150 yards for most deer with good shot placement, and some state that it works on Black Bear but .....

I have the "New Improved" .375 Winchester that was made in 1978 that shoots a 200 gr bullet at 2100fps out of a 20" barrel.
It is nothing more than a 30-30 case blown out for a larger dia. bullet that is just a little better than the parent load.

I keep all bullet weights and load to 150 yards for enough energy to drop my animals hunted, in a close area from impact.

Your 38/55 will work with those heavy bullets but you might need to trail your animals if poor shot placement or bone/joints are hit, preventing deep penetration and an exit hole for a good blood trail.

Some say that a 200 yard shot can be done but my bullets have a poor BC, and with the slower fps, it is more of a "Lob Shot" that leaves little to accuracy of bullet placement.

As for powders..........
see what is available to you and then look up their data.
Then expect 90% of the fps listings.

Good luck.