View Single Post

Old 05-19-2020, 12:01 AM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I had a 380 I bought in 82 or 83 or thereabouts. It worked OK. Weren't too many alternatives in that category at the time. I used it mainly as an on duty BUG. I shot it a fair amount for what it was. It liked hard ball and some HPs that weren't very. It wasn't safe in the back pocket without a holster as the safety would always become disengaged and if it's chambered it cocked. It doesn't take too many rounds for the bolt to get pretty beat up looking on the bottom. I eventually traded it in on the new (at the time) double action model. It was junk.

Yours look pretty new. They obviously didn't see much use.

I'd kinda like another of the original 380s just for nostalgia but I won't pay much for one. The only ones I've seen were either over priced, IMHO, or too beat up.
Working undercover narcotics in the late 70's, I had one I carried as a backup to my PPK/S, which was our UC gun. For warrant service and such, we carried 1911's, usually Combat Commanders. I've had the safety work it's way off while carrying in a hip pocket. I also knew of one guy who rearranged the geography of his backside when his went off in his hip pocket. That was enough for me; I went back to my Model 60.

Everything said above about the AMT was true; unreliable and unsafe. Add to that field stripping it for cleaning and maintenance was a PITA and subsequently didn't get done much. And, of course, the .380 in those days was not a barn-burner to begin with. We generally carried hardball and trained to empty the gun in the bad guy's face if we had to use it.

Last edited by snowman.45; 05-20-2020 at 02:14 PM.