View Single Post

Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Liked 1,057 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpolk View Post
I haven't had it done but here's my thoughts as someone sho has custom guns and will buy more. If it's worth the money boils down to your personal preferences. You won't recover the cash on a sale, so market value of those modifications indicate it isn't worth the money to the average buyer. However, if it is a lifetime keeper gun and you want to make it absolutely as amazing as possible then throwing a little money at the more minute details to polish it up a bit may be worth it TO YOU.

What I see being most beneficial in the package are the bottom two bullets being essentially a Performance Center trigger job. At $200 plus shipping two ways I would be more inclined to have a local reputable gunsmith perform a trigger job for similar results at half the cost plus no shipping personally. Factory triggers are pretty nice to begin with. The Performance Center triggers are even better. That said, I have older guns with worn in triggers and local gunsmith trigger jobs that both rival a PC trigger job in feel and function.

Package includes:
  • Recessed Crown Muzzle (except Tapered Barrels) - This doesn't affect accuracy and protects the crown of the muzzle from damage but unless you drop it so that something hard and sharp enters the crown it won't be damaged anyway. In my opinion this is a solution looking for a problem.
  • Reset Barrel and Cylinder Gap - This should be done properly from the factory anyway. Unless you have a well worn action this won't be an issue but they look at it on all of their custom shop stuff because it is an area of liability for them.
  • Chamfer Charge Holes - This in theory speeds up reloads. The only real benefit for this is in speed competitions and potentially concealed carry applications but I'd wager for concealed carry a pistol has a HUGE advantage for ease of reloads anyway over even a modified revolver.
  • Install 20% Lighter Mainspring - This lightens the trigger. To me this is more of a personal issue. While a lighter trigger is easier for most to shoot more consistently I also value a heavy mainspring for improved reliability. Lightening that would only be a benefit in my opinion if your really wanting to go to a lighter trigger.
  • Polish Rebound and Spring - This will make the trigger pull lighter and more consistent from reducing friction without lowering the spring weight needed for reliability. This is a functional improvement on any and all revolvers regardless of use in my opinion.
  • Adjust for Crisp Single Action Pull - Trigger jobs make it easier to shoot accurately. For defensive work in double action you aren't going to notice a difference. For slow aimed shots in single action this will be a functional improvement.
  • Test Fire for Function - this is of no benefit to you. This is just an internal quality control step that any reputable gunsmith would do after doing work on the trigger and action of any gun. Unless this comes with test targets and ammo recommendations, it isn't really a service to you so much as a liability check for them.
Thanks for the information