View Single Post

Old 05-21-2020, 08:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,478 Times in 10,047 Posts

A model 48 should be a 22 mag. Never had one,but I would think the barrel would be labeled. From using them for conversions, 327 mag, 22TCM, 22 Harvey etc, I do know that 22 cylinders are a bit hard to find and usually around $150 up. You can get lucky is you wait. Fitting them really isn't that hard USUALLY. Correct rear sight will cost you another $100 unless you get lucky also.

The price is good for any decent K frame 22 lr or magnum. But, like stated once you start adding on the $100 bills the original price fades fast. But, this seems to be the rare model where the 8 3/8" holds a higher value. See what caliber it actually is. Find a sight, find a spare cylinder to fit and you could have a long tube dual 22 for under a grand.

I always try to chisel the price a bit. In most Gun Shops and Pawn shops its works to some degree. Sometimes if it has just hit the shelf they be might not be as willing to deal as when it has sat for a few weeks or more. I saved $250 off my Model 53 22 Jet at a Scheels by simply waiting and checking back few weeks, It kept slowly dropping, finally after over 2 months I made my offer, they counter offered and I took it.
I seldom buy guns at Scheels because usually they are high. But, partt of getting a good price is patience