Thread: 629 which one ?
View Single Post

Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 PM

Liked 469 Times in 232 Posts

I like the 4"...and in my experience, the longer bbls jump higher in recoil because they burn more powder...all of my 7.5" Rugrrs and 6"" & 8-3/8" s&w 44 magnums had more felt recoil than the 4" guns...you will not lose much belocity in a 4" gun and you can hunt it if you like...if you want maximum pressure and velocity and want to scope it as a primary hunting arm then a long bbl may be better suited to that purpose. I have a 4" mtn gun and it is lighter than a model 28 because of the bigger bore and same tapered bbl. the standard 629 4" would be about as handy and very accurate in the experience I had with one I had owned....the 6" and longer are just generally too big to pack on the hip with rifle in tow for me but some folks don't mind...and as backup I usually carry a 2-3/4" Ruger speed-six 357.....ymmv-to each his own and now you have my opinion as to what I favor and choose for some reasons....��
There is always the chest or shoulder holsters if one has his mind set on a longer bbl version though-good luck!

Last edited by mikeruns; 06-13-2020 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: