View Single Post

Old 05-23-2020, 10:11 AM

Liked 2,972 Times in 1,071 Posts

It's a shame that the SW357V had such a limited production run and that those who own them don't seem to do much shooting with them or talk about them in detail much, as I would be interested to know more about them. How well they run, how well they hold up over time, what differences there are between it and the SW40V in terms of spring weights, etc.

That being said, if someone is offering you a SW357V barrel at a good price, then you may want to take them up on the offer due to their rarity, and you could always contact S&W for information regarding spring weights on the SW357V that way aid you in successfully converting a SW40VE to .357 SIG. Heck, they may even still have some old SW357V parts on hand to sell you. I don't want to discourage you from doing this, especially if it's something that you would enjoy, I'm just saying that I wouldn't attempt to drop a SW357V barrel into a SW40VE and take it out shooting. With a will there's a way, so as long as you're willing to do some research in order to figure out how one might safely convert a SW40VE to .357 SIG, you can do it.

Oh, and by the way, of all the things I've heard about M&P357s, none of them had anything to do with safety, merely reliability, and only after a certain volume of rounds have been fired, so if you want to take your M&P to the range and shoot some .357 SIG out if it, then you don't have to worry about it detonating in your hand or anything.
I honestly think that S&W dropped the M&P357 because it merely wasn't profitable enough for them to attempt to diagnose the issue or experiment until they uncovered a solution. It probably just needed heavier springs or more frequent replacement of the springs it already had. There are many folks here on the M&P forums who still shoot their M&P357s as well as converted M&P40s without any issues, so they seem to have figured out how to keep them running smoothly and you could always post a thread there asking for some information on the subject.

Last edited by Forte Smitten Wesson; 05-23-2020 at 10:21 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: