View Single Post

Old 05-23-2020, 12:10 PM

Liked 4,144 Times in 1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinglebob View Post
I have always heard that you are safe inside a car during a lightening storm because the lightening will travel around the surface of the vehicle and then go to ground. I don’t believe that anymore.

Yesterday morning two Tinker AFB security personnel were patrolling the base during a thunderstorm when a bolt of lightening hit their vehicle. They said that when the vehicle was struck the metal began sparking and crackling. They were able to get out before it burst into flames. The patrol officers were unhurt and they were able to get their weapons and ammo out of the truck before it was destroyed.
I live and made a career of the fire service in the "Lightning Capital of the US" - Central Florida. During one of our frequent afternoon thunderstorms in a popular tourist area I pulled up next to a group of three tourists all walking down the street with umbrellas. Somehow, they were surprised to learn that walking around in a storm with frequent lightning while holding a rod vertically over their heads wasn't safe!
The Following User Likes This Post: