View Single Post

Old 05-25-2020, 11:49 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6518John View Post
You just answered a question I have long had—what happens to the shot cup? I have always wondered what it would do in a close range shooting. Now I know!

And I agree with you 100% on birdshot rounds at close range—they are absolutely devastating. One ounce of shot is 437.5 grains. I think most shotgun rounds have a muzzle velocity of 1200-1600 FPS. I can’t imagine any gun person discounting a 437.5 grain bullet traveling at 1200 FPS! That’s almost 1400 foot pounds of energy.
The thing is that they are not "all together"... they are all in close proximity, but it is not one single mass. Take a load of birdshot and shoot it into ballistic gel at 20 feet. Then take a slug and shoot it into the ballistic gel at 20 feet. I guarantee that the slug will penetrate further as it is truly one mass. At 20', a plausible distance inside a home, that is almost 7 yards. Bird shot out of my 18.5" cylinder bore has left the shot cup by the time it gets to the target. Cheap, unbuffered buck shot has also and makes a pattern about the size of my fist. It isn't one hole at that distance.

I know that there have been cases where birdshot stopped, or even killed a person. However, there have been cases where it has not. The gel tests require 12"+ penetration before a round is deemed to penetrate RELIABLY to reach internal organs. Bird shot simply doesn't do this.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: