View Single Post

Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,216 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
The thing is that they are not "all together"... they are all in close proximity, but it is not one single mass. Take a load of birdshot and shoot it into ballistic gel at 20 feet. Then take a slug and shoot it into the ballistic gel at 20 feet. I guarantee that the slug will penetrate further as it is truly one mass. At 20', a plausible distance inside a home, that is almost 7 yards. Bird shot out of my 18.5" cylinder bore has left the shot cup by the time it gets to the target. Cheap, unbuffered buck shot has also and makes a pattern about the size of my fist. It isn't one hole at that distance.

YouTube

I know that there have been cases where birdshot stopped, or even killed a person. However, there have been cases where it has not. The gel tests require 12"+ penetration before a round is deemed to penetrate RELIABLY to reach internal organs. Bird shot simply doesn't do this.
At 1:29 of the video is a shot of the pattern hitting the gel block at 20 feet. It has opened to roughly 7 inches and it is followed into the block by the wad.