View Single Post

Old 05-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

My suggestion would be to get some snap caps and do some regular dry fire practice. Even just a few minutes a day will produce positive results. While I'm not as convinced as some others that dry firing will smooth the action as much as they claim, it will strengthen your trigger finger and make pulling the trigger easier. Of course, this should be dedicated practice and not just yanking on the trigger. Supplementing this with grip strengthening tools can be beneficial, too. I like Captains of Crush grippers, but there are lots of options out there.

If you do decide to do some action work, my general recommendation is to have a gunsmith do an action job but retain the factory springs, particularly if the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes. It will smooth and, to a certain degree, lighten the trigger pull, but will retain reliability and keep the trigger pull within factory specs.

Changing springs are certainly an option, but you would have to make sure they work reliably. An additional concern is the rebound slide spring. If this spring is too light, it can negatively affect the trigger return, possibly resulting in short-stroking the trigger during rapid DA shooting. This can be particularly bad if you have to use the gun to defend yourself.

If trigger pull is a concern for you, it would probably be a good idea to get a decent trigger pull gauge so you can objectively measure the current pull and compare any changes made. I don't have one because I'm more concerned with the feel than the actual weight.

I should add that my perspective is from that of a self-defense-oriented shooter. If this is a range or competition gun, then you can do whatever you like, so long as safety isn't compromised.

Just my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: