Thread: .22 LR question
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2020, 10:02 AM

Liked 5,230 Times in 1,842 Posts

First some questions: Is this the first time you've fired them? Have these guns ever worked? Have they been sitting unused for a long time?

Do the simple stuff first. If they're new to you, have somebody else try them. Maybe it's your technique. If they worked in the past or have been sitting a long time, then as others have said clean and lube them. If they've been in regular use without trouble and now give you issues, it may be time to re-spring them. Even so, I'd clean and lube them before "repairing" them. It's odd that they both gave trouble at the same time, so I'm betting they're dirty, have gummed up lube or maybe your technique.

A 22 can drive you nuts. My biggest pain was a S&W Model 41. They're notorious for crankiness. Mine was troublesome until I fed it some Eley Target. Yes, it's more expensive than CCI standard, but it worked flawlessly. I suspect it's the greasy bullet lube or perhaps cartridge dimensions. I had replaced springs and the extractor. Cleaned an lubed the gun with all sorts of different stuff. In the end, it was the ammo choice. It runs great when well fed.

Last edited by Krogen; 05-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: