View Single Post

Old 05-30-2020, 09:03 AM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhacker View Post
Grips from the 70's was an oil varnish formula, S&W went to the polyurethane formula in the 80's.

For touch up work, thin out the Tru-oil, I use a minimum 50/50 mix of Tru-oil and thinner. For the checkered area, I use an even thinner mixture, almost like water, and apply it sparsely with a tooth brush. This is how you avoid getting that "filled in" look that many self refinished grips have in the checkering.

It's easier to blend in/regulate the amount of finish applied using the thinned out Tru-oil, than un-thinned.

Nothing looks worse than having a "blob" of finish higher than the surround original finish.
Thank you for those tips. Not having any wood finishing or refinishing experience at all, I guess the part that I don't understand is how finishing products can be mixed and still give a good result. For example, if I'm dealing with a stock that was originally finished with polyurethane, how is it that a non-polyurethane product such as Tru-Oil doesn't show up differently in terms of color or sheen? How does it manage to blend so well?

And while I ask that, the idea of using polyurethane for just a very minor touch-up scares the heck out of me. I fear I could make things worse, not better.

I probably should just take out some of my lesser condition stocks and go at it... i.e., do some experimenting.
The Following User Likes This Post: