View Single Post

Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 PM

Liked 4,545 Times in 1,668 Posts
Default 32-44 Smith & Wesson Target "Bullet Design" confirmed!

I was fortunate enough to win this very early and extremely rare 32-44 S&W T (TARGET) Ideal reloading tool just today. Been looking for one for oh? about 30 years? Finally found it! This extremely rare surviving example in excellent condition proves many points that have remained unanswered for years. I've never even seen a photo of this tool before. Only those that are found in Ideal catalogs that date to about 1891.

So why is this tool so important?

First; It confirms the original bullet type( circa 1887)
Second: It will confirm original bullet diameter(.321?)
Third: It also confirms via cross referencing the Smith & Wesson peanut mold, when rarely found, we now can confirm that it is in fact the 32-44 Target bullet. Since the peanut molds are not marked. Left us guessing until now.

The Antique Reloading tool Collectors Association has also confirmed that via specific features? You can determine when an Ideal field loader was manufactured.( What year?)

Notice Photo 1? You can clearly see the priming feature is located forward of the bullet cavity. This feature was only found on early field loaders from 1884-1887. We also know that the target variations for the New Model 3 were introduced in late 1887. So this confirms that this "specific" extremely rare example was manufactured in 1887.(First year Target production)
It also confirms that the first bullet design seen on this specific tool in Photo 2 is the first type bullet for the 32-44 target Smith & Wesson in the first year of production. 1887!

Once I have the tool I will be able to also confirm the bullet diameter listed in few references as .321 being the first or original diameter bullet. (This has also been argued for many years)
The tool also has two points of reference for bullet diameter. Not only the bullet cavity? but also included in this late 1887 design is a bullet sizing feature. Which will be proof positive of the original bullet diameter.

Very exciting find for me personally. Not only does it answer and "confirm" a lot of questions? It will now allow me to load the proper bullet, size the bullet, and reload the case to reload and shoot my target 32-44. So now I can finally test fire it as it was originally designed so I can find out just how accurate it is. I'm stoked. Just thought I would share with the forum.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 05-30-2020 at 07:11 PM.
The Following 46 Users Like Post: