View Single Post

Old 05-31-2020, 12:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,054 Times in 4,535 Posts

This is ever so interesting.

Quote:
The problem here is missing what you shoot at. Most discussions about over penetration are really about missing the target.
That is the essence of the problem. The fact remains that there is no target too close or too big that you cannot miss it with a handgun. Except maybe touching distance. And you don't want to be that close to a home invader.

Quote:
A load of birdshot (#7 1/2 or 8) will certainly penetrate a sheet or two of drywall at in house distances.
There is no doubt about that. To test that theory I tried an experiment on an old, dilapidated barn. I was dove hunting, the shotgun was loaded with #7.5 or #8 birdshot, there were no birds, and I was bored. So I decided to see what the birdshot could do against corrugated steel barn walls.

I wasn't really close. Ten, maybe twelve feet away. But not much more than that and in a home you could be considerably further away from a bad guy. But, anyway, the birdshot blew a 6" or larger hole right through that steel!

Jim Cirillo was right, of course, there's always that time that you could have a failure to stop. But I still load my HD shotguns with birdshot. There are 9mm and .38 Special handguns at the ready, too.

My personal good news is that I don't have any sleeping loved ones in another room. And in my newly rebuilt-from-the-ground-up home the external walls are all brick so unless a window is penetrated my neighbors won't have flying projectiles coming to them. So if a home invasion occurs I don't need to think about over penetration - because I used all of that brick with that in mind. Thank you Col. Cooper......