View Single Post

Old 06-09-2020, 03:59 PM

Liked 1,044 Times in 450 Posts

I have rifles and scopes that are capable of shooting and hitting game at long ranges, probably 500-1000. Not sure that I am capable of taking said rifles and hitting the said game animals at those distances. The thing that I take to this very day is how my father taught me how to stalk the animals to get the good shot. I much prefer the stalk over the shot. To have both is the ultimate. I have passed this onto my son's and hope that they value the stalk just as much as I do and their grandfather did.

My older son's first buck pronghorn was a fantastic stalk that ended in a belly crawl. We couldn't get any closer because he had surrounded himself with his harem. All of the does were looking in a 360 around him. In order to shoot the buck without the grass blocking his sight he had to use my butt and a rest. Shot was about 300 +/-. I remember holding my breath so that it would not move the rifle. Then I was holding my breath until I heard the tell tale sound of the bullet striking its intended target. Never forget any of it.

I admire the long range shooters but, don't envy them.

Last edited by IAM Rand; 06-09-2020 at 04:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: