View Single Post

Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 AM

Liked 83 Times in 19 Posts
Default Carrying Concealed - And a Stranger goes for your weapon

Not long ago I had an experience that shook me up a bit. I doubt many people ever think about it, but it happened to me.

I was out at a location I frequent due to my line of work. Often there are a number of "dubious" characters around and over time I knew most of them by name. Most were hardworking but some were real troublemakers with some serious problems in their background.

One day I was at the location when one of the guys I had seen there before and knew a bit about his violent background, approached me to talk about what I do. Because I had talked to him at least a dozen times before, I wasn't on full alert. It seemed friendly and harmless, until out of the clear blue, he lunged at me and put his arms around my waist OBVIOUSLY feeling for a weapon.

On THAT particular day I did not carry but I usually did and I strongly suspect he noticed it one day and decided to pull that stunt later. Because of his background i suspect he was going to try to steal my weapon. I'm 200 lbs and muscular, and this guy was about 230 and about an inch shorter but built like a bouncer.

Keep in mind that if thugs are looking for a concealed carry person, the4y probably know exactly what to look for. That bulge. The extra long T shirt etc.

It honestly happened so fast it was over by the time I realized what he was doing.

He then laughed it off as if he was just joking, but it was no joke. Had I been carrying an all out fight probably would have ensued.

I never went back to that location afterwards because after that I considered it too risky.

But if you have never had anything like this happen to you, it's good to think about it ahead of time. it happened so fast that he was pulling back by the time it registered what he was doing. Less than 2 seconds.

This changed my concealed carry attitude. Now I never allow anyone close enough to go for my concealed weapon. Keep in mind that because so many people do carry concealed, it might not be too difficult for thugs to profile who might be carrying and try to take your weapon.

Imagine if two guys just face punched you as they walked by and then went for your gun.

I didn't think anything like this could happen to me but I was taken by surprise by the speed of it. My advice is if you are carrying, ALWAYS be aware that criminals are out there who may be looking for someone to hit to get their weapon. If there's two, they can be on your REALLY fast and can attack you before you are even aware it's about to happen.

When I conceal carry now, I'm always vigilant to look at whos nearby and I try to always maintain at least 3 ft distance. Even at 3ft, someone can be on you in less than 1 second. I actually try to keep 6ft but it's more difficult as you get around more people. What would you do if someone went for your gun before you were prepared for the attack?

The damnedest thing would be to get shot by your own weapon.

This was an eye opening event for me and I've learned to always be alert because of it.

Have you ever had anything like this happen to you?
The Following 29 Users Like Post: