View Single Post

Old 06-17-2020, 09:52 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 639 Times in 184 Posts
Default the 38-44 bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMur View Post
I apologize Charlie,

When reloading though you have to be precise no matter what caliber you are loading or reloading.

When comparing loading data for the 32-44 as proven in this thread? It no way even resembles the 38-44 both in bullet weight, type, powder charge, or even case dimensions. Not even close to be honest. An error in loading would be a gross error that would not in any way involve what has been posted on this thread.

When loading or reloading it’s always best practice to check and double check and then check again all your data and final results. I enjoy it myself but would never recommend it for anyone who is not confident of their procedures. It’s not for everyone.

There are a lot of really good reloading books out there. We should all have several in our book collection. If not? This thread in NO WAY qualifies you for reloading! Read some good books first to thoroughly understand the process!

This thread is honestly designed for those who have Already performed a lot of loading and reloading successfully and basically have a lot of experience. Also to satisfy Curiosity regarding a Historical claim of extreme accuracy that at this point I am very skeptical about. 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards? With open sights from a pistol? Sounds like a yarn to me! That’s like hitting a Silver dollar over and over again at 50 yards with a pistol “ Off Hand”? Come on now?

Anyway, When reloading for calibers that are no longer available on the market today you must follow “ Precisely” the loading data from original manuals and never alter that data. Even when others suggest doing so!

Manufacturing non original cases and basing our final product from loading data that is 130 years old That’s way beyond the novice.

Only a lot of loading experience and understanding the dynamics provides the confidence in knowing that what you are doing is 100% safe!

Murph
The S&W 38-44 Target cartridge used the same bullet mold as the 38 S&W thus the bullet weight and diameter would be the same as the 38 S&W.

B. Mower