View Single Post

Old 06-18-2020, 03:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 100 Times in 27 Posts
Default Victory Model Post Factory Markings

Just purchased a Navy contract Victory Model with Post Factory Markiings on left frame "PROPERTY OF U.S. NAVY" (In two lines). There are traces of white paint in the letters.
This prompted me to casually ask myself "Why isn't this engraving filled with red paint?" After all, that was what I had most often seen or read about.
I wonder if it makes any sort of interesting minor detail whether such paint color makes, or once made, any sort of difference? Does anyone know or have a hunch? Not that it makes any difference of course, just a product of curiosity and time to pass in Covid-19 isolation.
I wondered if the red was used for guard weapons at the ammunition piers in Oakland. If the while was used on the dry goods loading jetty on Treasure Island.?
Or - did it just result from the Gunners Mate striker who was detailed to paint guns that day picked up a can of white paint instead of the nearby red...... (I fully realize that is the probable true story)
Just couldn't help asking if anyone had an info related to such markings on Navy revolvers? Thanks, you'all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navyprop.jpg (19.3 KB, 43 views)