View Single Post

Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveG View Post
Thanks, all. I've been using the Winchester White Box 110 grain for years, but keep reading that it's bad for the forcing cone or otherwise, so maybe this old dog can learn new tricks when there's new tricks available.
Actually, it's not. The forcing cone issue with lightweight bullets only applies to full-power loads, i.e. 125gr JHP @ 1450fps.

The WWB 110gr SJHP is more of a mid-range (maybe even light) load, @ 1295fps (according to the Winchester website). This puts it in the neighborhood of 9mm 115gr +P/+P+ loads, balistically-speaking.

It was my favorite load to shoot in my 3" 65. Easy to shoot, accurate enough for my needs. The only downside was that it produced a significant muzzle flash. Fun to see at the range, but possibly too much for self defense.

While it wouldn't be my first choice in a defensive load, I wouldn't feel undergunned if that's what I had available.

Also, I could be wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that the US Marshals Service used this load, or something similar, back when they issued the 3" GP100. I'm definitely not 100% certain about that.

Last edited by ContinentalOp; 06-19-2020 at 02:27 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: