View Single Post

Old 06-21-2020, 03:57 PM

Liked 4,547 Times in 1,670 Posts
Default Altered chambers?

Yeah,
I'm only making an observation regarding the chambers? If I had a dime for every time I've seen a drilled out chamber? Well, you know the rest. There are even a few active threads with drilled out chambers on the forum right now.

Extremely common with the 44 caliber. Most often to adapt to the 44 WCF from whatever previous caliber it was.

Also something for "ALL" collectors to watch out for.
After seeing so many I honestly believe it was due to a cartridge availability issue during period of use. So many Winchesters were chambered in that caliber and it was quite a bit more powerful so you have to look closely when you purchase antique 44's.

"MANY, MANY" have been altered!!!

Tlawler:
Yeah, the Downes was in San Diego when I served aboard. Went through Pearl a few times on West Pac steaming/Plane guarding for the Ranger. It wasn't fun during those years that's for sure. Life was much better when I cross decked to a Cruiser. Never went DIW like the Downes did. Watching the battle group steam on and leave us behind. Pathetic. Single screw Knox class DE's weren't exactly Cadillac's. More like Targets! That's why they would always assign us "Picket station".... 500 miles North of the Battle Group...."BAIT" for the migs.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 06-21-2020 at 04:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: