View Single Post

Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 AM

Liked 4,549 Times in 1,671 Posts
Default 44 WCF

Yeah,
That's exactly what you would see with the 44WCF rechambering. They actually did a good job. The base of the 44WCF is 45caliber. It's identical to the .45 Colt or Schofield until the case bottlenecks down to .44 cal.

If it was 44 Russian what you would see is about 3/4 of the way down the chamber would be a "Case Stop" or what this forum likes to call a step? but basically its where the case stops and the throat begins. When you get use to looking at a 44 Russian chamber it is totally different than a 44 WCF.

Then when you've seen several hundred of these altered cylinders? You get use to recognizing them. The primary give away is the "HUGE" base diameter. 45cal? Exactly what you are showing with the 45ACP cartridge. You get use to seeing that diameter....The difference to me is obvious.

OH, let me try to head something else off at the pass OK? As far as case length? Yes the 44WCF is longer than the 44 Russian and when you chamber a 44WCF in this cylinder you will notice that it will stick out just a little bit? Remembering that when this gun was manufactured it was OH....150 years ago give or take? So all the rounds were lead. It takes very little effort to rub the flat point lead bullet against a rock to shorten the overall case length to fit this chamber.. would take about 2 mins. of soft rubbing and it will chamber and fit perfectly.

Also, they had a "HUGE" number of reloading tools available back then that were manufactured by many companies. "ALL" of them would allow you to push the lead bullet deeper into the brass case so that it would chamber in this cylinder. Zero effort. Easy problem to solve. Case length in a book isn't always the way it was in the OLD WEST!

****Oh, one more piece of advice from an old timer? Since this cylinder has been altered to a larger case diameter? I strongly recommend that if you decide to shoot it? Only use black powder or Black powder substitute. The 44 WCF round is quite powerful in a black powder load. I would not play with a Smokeless load with this alteration.

Murph

Last edited by BMur; 06-22-2020 at 12:57 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: