View Single Post

Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,116 Times in 304 Posts

Mike:
The first box I am adding is one I forgot I had. It is a 'lozenge' UMC box with a sharp shoulder bullet instead of round nose. I always thought it was pretty early, maybe '05 and 1910 but today as I was researching it, I found an identical box on Ray Giles' site for sale. He describes it as a scarce loading (mid-range), scarce bullet type, and very early smokeless powder vintage (pre-1900).
I don't know his basis for that date but he is the expert. I don't see a callout on the sides for a particular model of revolver.

One pic I didn't add is of a Remington/UMC box which is a bit later than the one Dave added, 2 posts up, as the red ball now has Remington added, so after 1912.
The reason I mention it is that it also specifies on one side that it is "Specially Adapted For .38 Smith & Wesson New Military and Colt Officer's Model Arms".

The next last 2 pics are of Peters and a US Cartridge Company boxes. I always thought Peters had nice graphics and this one is Black Powder with a 157 grain bullet.
The USCCo box is about to fall apart and is also BP with no mention of bullet weight. I have no idea how old these are but figure they are pre-1920.
Click on the pics to enlarge.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0173.jpg (20.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN0174.jpg (20.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN0175.jpg (20.6 KB, 35 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: