View Single Post

Old 06-24-2020, 11:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,707 Times in 1,410 Posts

Yours is almost pristine when compared to mine pictured below. Mine is a 1st year (1888) low 4 digit serial number, but in such bad shape finish wise, it is really a paperweight these days.

So the gun itself is well over 120 years and I firmly believe what all gun owners know (some find out the hard way) and that is just like posted above....never store the gun in a leather holster. As you can see from the pics, mine was stored for a unknown number of years, decades...maybe even eons in a "cheap" single ply leather holster. Nothing I can do would restore a semblance of this guns glory days in some turn of the century bankers vest, or wrapped in some ladies fur muff while strolling down the avenue.

Yours is sweet for sure...ditch the chamois, light coat of wax, put her away for the next caretaker in your family. Remember me if you ever need parts! Watch for those stocks too...they are very brittle with that amount of age and if you intend to remove them be absolutely sure that you have a proper (hollow ground, small blade) gunsmith screwdriver before you even think about removing or you could easily end up with buggerred screw slots, or worse yet a full crack that will render the stocks useless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1888f.jpg (44.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1888g.jpg (51.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MC holster 1888 front.jpg (40.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg MC holster 1888 back.jpg (42.4 KB, 21 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 2 Users Like Post: