View Single Post

Old 06-24-2020, 10:48 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrifleman View Post
Walter, all comments are welcome! These are bona fide Mauser manufactured magazines. Feedlips are good.

When I just disassembled a magazine, I noticed that on the top coil there is a bend resembling a giraffe's neck. I suspect that this could be a major contributor to my problem. This could be shifting the fulcrum point on the follower.
I'm thinking the mag spring is installed up-side-down..

...'Giraffe's neck' sounds like the small sharp bend to the short section of the end of the mag spring wire that is supposed to be at the bottom of the magazine to hold the floor plate in place.

I'm not familiar with the post war Interarms edition HSc.
If the magazines are like the WW2 HSc, the floor plate of the magazine is held in place by the end of the magazine spring. The single short tail of the mag spring wire is bent less than 90* and it sits in a slot in the floor plate and mag body side rail.

The top end is a full loop of the mag spring wire that fits under the follower. The high end of it faces the front and keeps the front end of the follower up. The follower as a leg underneath at both the front and back to guide it smoothly up and down the front and back spine of the mag inner walls.

If the mag spring is in upside down,,the follower will dive downward a bit at the front from lack of spring pressure.
The little bent piece of spring meant to keep the floor plate in place can drag on the inner wall if it skips outside of the underside of the follower in this upside down install.

The loop at the other end will put pressure on the floor plate and hold it in position fairly well. But the floor plate can be pushed out of position and off of the mag body with some effort..

If the feed lips are turned downward just a bit especcially at the front end of them,,the cartridge being stripped off will nose dive as it trys to run underneath the narrower opening betw the lips.

The Mauser marked magazines in Interarms mfg pistols are most likely made for Mauser by some other company or companys. Just a fact of modern mfg'g.

First I'd make sure the mags are assembled correctly and work smoothly.

If that doesn't do it,,

Then I'd try some other ammo. Stick with some FMJ perhaps.
Then if still having the same problem I'd take one of the magazines and try adj the feed lips to get the rds from diving down on feeding.
Remember that semiautos rarely work correctly when manualy operated in slow motion. But you can often see where a problem is by carefully watching the operation over and over.

About all I can think of...

Last edited by 2152hq; 06-24-2020 at 10:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: