View Single Post

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,410 Times in 3,290 Posts
Default This Victory Model takes the cake.

More markings on it than any other gun I've ever owned. A circle with a crown and NP in the center stamped 6 times on the cylinder. Really, wasn't once enough? Three more on left barrel ahead of Frame and a last one on the crane. OK, yoke. NP for Nitro Proof meaning OK with smokeless powder? The 1940s seems late to proof for smokeless. Just below is stamped Not English Made.

On left top strap is US Property GHD. I think those are the initials for an inspector, no? On left frame below cylinder window is POL.OLD 480.

One more I can't make out well. On left frame right behind trigger is what appears to be crossed swords pointed downward. There are 3 tiny figures arranged around the blades but I can't make out what they are. Anyone know?

The smooth walnut stocks that came with the revolver have a different serial and don't fit well. I swapped on a set of Magnas with black washers and the number 910943 on one panel. Guessing the prefix was S and these came off a transitional M&P made in 47 or 48. Sound right? Has not been refinished but very little original finish remains. Most turning brown. But it works fine.

Bought this on a whim one night off Gunbroker. Auction was near closing and there were no bids on the $250 starting price. That's what I paid for it as nobody else bid. I was already loading the 38 S&W for a couple other revolvers so the caliber didn't scare me.

I know it served with someone in Great Britain and was then issued to a German PD after the war. No idea how it got back home to the U.S. Were these sold in large numbers back in the 1960s or something? Maybe a GI won it in a poker game and brought it home in a duffel bag.

With lead bullets it tears one hole groups at 15 yards shooting with arms rested. Too much fun for the price.

Last edited by Art Doc; 06-25-2020 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 15 Users Like Post: