View Single Post

Old 06-27-2020, 08:51 AM

Liked 1,328 Times in 456 Posts

Univibe, I agree with you on all points above except your belief that hollow points offer no advantage over FMJ.
Yes, placement is king, with adequate penetration also right up there, but in a stressful gunfight where you have to get the opponent down before he gets you, your shot might be off a bit. It's not going to be like you are at the target range and have lots of time to place your shot.

I'd rather have something like a 124 grain HST that expands to .66 caliber and penetrates 18 inches, than a 124 FMJ that only stays .35 caliber and penetrates 22 inches.

That perfect .66 caliber mushroom will cause much more damage, and maybe cut that artery that the FMJ slipped by.
The 9mm would have a much better reputation these days if there weren't so many ineffectual hits caused by FMJ, or by older design JHPs that didn't expand.

If we'd have had bullets like the HST, Gold Dot and Ranger-T all along in the 9mm, it would have a much better reputation as a fight stopper.
You would be better off if you insist on carrying FMJ to have a .45 ACP, I sure wouldn't carry FMJ in my MP9 when there are excellent loads like the HST.
Carry FMJ in your 9mm if you desire, but you aren't going to convince the rest of us that it's a good choice.