View Single Post

Old 06-27-2020, 08:54 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,710 Times in 1,410 Posts

Masterbuck54, That's a pretty nice looking Luger! Many years ago I was heavily into WWII milsurps, allies as well as axis firearms. The best Luger I had at the time, was a all original 41 byf (Mauser from the Oberndorf, Germany factory in November 1941). My example pictured below was what collectors called a "Black Widow" due to its all black plastic grips, which were unique to the pistol.

How do we find out all of this? Lugers were manufactured in "blocks" of approx. 10,000 at a time. By late 1942 Germany had shifted to manufacture of the less costly P-38 and the last Luger made at Oberndorf was s/n 9244 "i" block in November 1942.

All parts that are serial numbered (and there are several) carry the last 2 digits of the serial number (example my Luger was serial number 3577 "y" block (see pic) so all parts numbered had 77 stamped on them. The proof marks were usually double Eagles with E655. The magazines were also proofed with Eagle 37, and fxo. The magazine with my Luger was original and dated to C.G. Hanel Fabrication Plant in late November 1941.

If you seriously want to get more information and other Luger expert opinions, consider joining Jan Still's "Axis Powers" Forum. They have an astounding bunch of Luger guy's that really know their stuff on these Lugers.

As to value...an all matching P-08, wartime manufacture, original finish with original mag are in the $2,000 and up range when you can find them. Mismatched, non original grips and mags drops value considerably, however my opinion is now at least 10 years old so you may be surprised.

Anyway....enjoy the pics of my old 41 byf Black Widow Luger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luger left side.jpg (50.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Luger right side.jpg (55.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Luger ser no. +block.jpg (26.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg top marks.jpg (38.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg double eagle proofs.jpg (36.8 KB, 75 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following 4 Users Like Post: