View Single Post

Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 AM

Liked 6,727 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgun28 View Post
The ammunition factory had been abandon for years. It was in decay and poor shape as it was. The homeless moved in and for whatever reason kept having fires, they put them out. The las major fire did lots of damage and all the buildings were razed but they kept the shot tower. The shot tower can is seen from I-95 in Bridgeport. I had some old photos of signs on the plant marked UMC Remington at one time.

Bridgeport also allowed removal of the GE buildings that were not far from the Remington plant. They were built in WW1 by Remington and made lots of arms including the famous Mosin rifles and lots of other famous items. These buildings were a complex of well spaced brick structures. A very unique look to them. You can find pictures online I'm sure. Reminded me of toasters in a row.

Time moves on I guess, the city is a perfect example of an old industrial city in the USA.

Bridgeport is a fascinating city, from sewing machines to firearms, and yes even Father Panik Village (yes google it). PT Barnum lived in B-Port I think on Iranistan Ave. Thompson made machine guns, Jenkins made valves for the world.
That reminds me of the old Remington Peters ammunition factory in Kings Mill, near Cincinnati. It is next to the bike trail and rode past it frequently. I think someone turned it into condos