View Single Post

Old 06-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Liked 2,349 Times in 462 Posts
Default Model 24-3 Finally Just Right

When the Model 24-3 revolvers were released I wanted a 4" version, but couldn't find one. About 10 years later I found a NIB 6" model in the LGS and purchased it. I didn't really like the long tube and it languished in the safe for a long time.

Eventually I found a NOS 4" barrel on the eBay. It had a two pin front sight so it must be pretty old. I sent the barrel and revolver off to the factory to have the short barrel properly installed. Some time after it arrived at the factory, I got a call saying that the 6" barrel was so tight in the frame they would have to saw it off in order to remove it. I immediately said OK as the long barrel had little interest for me.

The factory did a fine job of replacing the barrel and even returned the sawn 6" tube. But the revolver was still not quite right. I really wanted a pair of Elmer Keith style ivory handles with the steer-head on the right panel. Those handles were not forthcoming and the 24 still sat in the safe. It didn't help that .44 Special is a hard cartridge to find in anything but really expensive factory RNL "poof" loads.

Couple weeks back I spotted what were listed as smooth, finger groove walnut stocks on the web. They didn't have finger grooves in the pictures, and the wood didn't look like walnut - but rosewood. I made the purchase and when they arrived I was not disappointed ...

Turns out these were made by Herrett's and they appear to be an older pair. While not carved ivory magna, they fit my hand well and really dress up the 24-3. It took a long time but this revolver is now "just right".

Would sure like to see other Model 24 revolvers especially those with special stocks!

Last edited by 153; 06-28-2020 at 07:11 PM.
The Following 45 Users Like Post: