View Single Post

Old 06-29-2020, 03:24 AM

Liked 13,294 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
IMHO, over penetration of 5.56 vs. handgun calibers (especially from carbines) is not nearly as much of a problem for defensive use as is the muzzle blast/concussion/flash of 5.56, especially out of short barrels.

5.56 with expanding/fragmenting projectiles is a really effective fight stopper, but the cost can be permanent hearing damage when fired indoors if unsuppressed.

I had my SBR AR with a 10.5" barrel on a mat in my living room stripping the bolt while watching a movie.

Put it back together, and loaded 5 rounds in a mag to chamber them by hand to make sure the extractor was cool. Had 5 rounds laying on the floor.

Laid the rifle on the floor and put everything else away. Came back and picked it up by the pistol grip, and like a total idiot moron got my finger on the trigger.

Yes a 5.56 is most loud unsuppressed shot thru a 10.5" barrel.

I swear it was like the magic bullet when JFK got shot. It went under the couch, carved a path thru my laminate floor to the concrete slab, ricocheted back up and went into the wall behind the couch without ever touching the couch. Then thru the drywall and into the block wall. I held my breath when I opened the front door to see if it went all the way thru the block...it didn't.

I was also lucky it hit the floor right next to the tile foyer. I kept several pieces of the flooring in case I ever needed it. Was simple to fix.

The Following 7 Users Like Post: