View Single Post

Old 06-29-2020, 11:13 AM

Liked 916 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
It's most likely 7.62x25 Tokarev, which is loaded substantially hotter than 7.63x25 Mauser. Why it has been loaded into stripper clips when both the TT33 and the PPSh-41 loaded from detachable box magazines is anyones guess, maybe they were still using C96s in some areas and in wartimes obviously weren't very concerned about damaging the old C96s they still had in their armories.

Look on the bright side though, now you have an excuse to own a Tokarev Pistol and there are a bunch of them available from various websites for about $220 on average.

This Czech 7.62 Tok ammo is loaded on stripper clips because it was intended for rapid refilling of submachine gun mags. Using a bracket on the gun a soldier could use the clips to quickly refill his empty magazines. The same ammo could also be used in the CZ-52 pistol but had to be removed from the clips and loaded one at a time in the single column pistol mags.

This ammo has a reputation for being fairly hot though in my experience with it I felt it really seemed about the same as other 7.62 Tok military ammo I had shot. At one time there was a lot of it imported and it still shows up from time to time. It does have a steel jacketed bullet so extensive use might be rough on the bore. Imports stopped some time ago as some of it also had an actual steel core as well so it fell under the "Armor Piercing Ammo" regs.

One final note: I had a bunch of the clips left over. They will not fit an M96 Mauser (shaped wrong for the clip guides) but ended up selling them to a guy for his 1912 Styer. He said they worked in it as a substitute for the hard to find 9mm Styer mags since they would fit the clip guides of that pistol.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: