View Single Post

Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 192 Times in 62 Posts

This is the first time I have used this forum, and I haven't figured out how to quote a previous post. somorris said:

"Especially for someone not very familiar with handguns, I have always felt a revolver is preferable. If their life depends on using the handgun, I want them to have a gun that they can pull out and it works. A revolver can fail, but in my opinion is a lot more reliable and more likely to work with a little fuzz or something in the works. I would be trying to steer your wife towards a revolver that she likes."

Amen, Brother! That's the philosophy I followed 50 years ago when my wife and I picked out a nickel-plated snub-nose S&W. We have been married 55 years now, and we both still like that gun. She has never had to use it, but several times it made her feel a lot better, knowing she had it if she needed it. It could lay in her purse untouched for a decade and still work perfectly if she needed it. That would not be true of ANY semi-automatic.

Unless your wife is really into guns and shooting, you probably should go with a light snub-nose double or single/double revolver in .38 Spl or .357 Mag and load it with standard-velocity .38's.

My wife can't shoot any more (stroke) but she still loves "her" gun. I'm thinking about borrowing it and using it for my own concealed carry, with heavier loads than she ever used. My S&W 6" N-frame "Highway Patrolman" .357 is a bit much to conceal.