View Single Post

Old 07-04-2020, 07:54 PM

Liked 7,379 Times in 2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrifleman View Post
Also, remember that armor piercing ammo (aka: "cop-killer" ammo) has been illegal to own for close to 40 years. If one were to encounter an armored threat, I would suspect that the wiser strategy would be two rounds center of mass (to impair the balance of the threat), then one to the head to neutralize the threat. Personally, if what I am carrying has adequate muzzle energy at "bad-breath" distance, I would probably save the second COM round for any additional threats.
Every time I see someone refer to armor-piercing ammo as "cop-killers" it reminds me of how the media used to run stories of "cop-killer" bullets designed specifically for the purpose of shooting through body armor. However, outside of the outrageous world that only exists in the minds of Sensationalist Journalists, the bullets they were referring to were not in fact designed to be armor-piercing at all, they were designed for big game hunting and just so happened to be capable of defeating body armor. Furthermore, the media attributed these bullets armor-piercing capabilities to their green Teflon coating rather than their mild steel cores, which in reality only served to prevent the steel core from potentially damaging the rifling.

Amusingly enough, these stories pretty much lead to the Urban Legend of Teflon's armor-piercing capabilities, so decades later we still had Black Talon's being reportedly capable of piercing through body armor before expanding due to their Teflon coating.