View Single Post

Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM

Liked 368 Times in 194 Posts
Default So what’s the size difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelslaver View Post
Tauruses and CA both run smaller cylinders than S&W. Their chambers are closer to the center. I have a 5 shot 44 specials from all three, plus good sets of calibers and know this is a fact. Alsop both Taurus and CA use a considerable smaller ratchet than any S&W. There hand is therefore closer to the center of the frame. Although they are 5 shot44 and not 6 shot 38s the same principal is at work in order to keep the outside chamber wall thick enough. It is also why CA and Taurus made 5 shot 45 acps and S&W does not. S&W can not and retain their frame and ratchet.

As stated earlier, for S&W to make a 6 shot J frame cylinder (or a 5 shot K frame big bore) they would have to make the ratchet smaller and to operate, it move the hand and its window in on the frame. This also means a skinnier trigger, /hammer as the hand is on the side of the hammer. Then moving the chambers to the center means moving the barrel down in the frame to line up with those chambers, this means a skinnier ejector rod (anyone notice the rod on a CA??) to lower tthe top of the yoke to clear the frame for the lower barrel

IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. no way no how.

I would rather have an alloy 6 shot J frame 327 Federal anyway.

For now I will just keep packing my 325s. Bulkier, but 6 rounds of 45 acp Will get it done for me and it weighs nothing.
So what is the diameter of the cylinder of Taurus and CA 38spl ? I’d think a 5 shot if the cylinder was smaller than a Smith. I haven’t seen a CA in a long time. Never handled a Taurus. I’m suspicious of the quality